Monday, March 10, 2014

Business Relection #6

Women on corporate boards on the rise
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/women-on-corporate-boards-on-the-rise-1.2557985
February 11, 2014

The article that I chose to write about is more women on the board of public companies. The amount of women on companies is rising ever year. In 2011 there was approximately 10.3 percent of women in corporations and then increased in 2013 to about 12.2 percent. Companies are being put under pressure to become more diverse by including women in public affairs. In Ontario, there is a proposal to disclose the number of women on the company board and make their efforts public. The Catalyst Accord invites companies to sign on to efforts to increase the portion of board seats held by women to 25 percent by 2017. Women now account for 15.9 percent of board directors at 500 of Canada's largest companies.

I wrote my business reflection on this article because of course as a woman I see this as very empowering. I think this a great thing, it shows how diverse companies are becoming, considering  both men and women have very different opinions, there could be more of an emotional aspect to the direction a company takes. It also gives other women opportunities to seek higher positions in a business, I think they would have more confidence to try and place themselves in a board position. Although I don't think there should be more males than females or vice versa, I do think all opinions on business related issues should be considered and I think better outcomes would arise.

8 comments:

  1. I know there are industry leaders that value diversity in the workplace. The stats that you shared in your blog are tremendous, the percentage may look small, but in reality the numbers are probably surprisingly high. I value a strong woman and their ability to lead, my wife being one of them. Great article Brittney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I value that you value your wife, Mr. Standring :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with you that this is very empowering for all women! It's amazing to think how far society has come when it comes to woman rights and woman in the workforce. I agree that there should not be any more males or females in these positions, however it would be impossible for it to be evenly divided. As important as it is to have a diverse workplace and have woman in higher positions, I do not think it is right to give the job to an unqualified woman over a qualified man simply because of gender. It is good to consider both genders for the position; who ever is more qualified should receive the job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brittney, I really like how you mentioned that there should not be more men in a company and vice versa for women as well. I agree that as a woman, it is very empowering to see women in a high power position in companies. On the other hand, I would never want to see a woman put in a high power position just for diversity purposes, and not based on her qualities that match the job requirements. I believe in the future we can look forward to more equality in business, and see women in high power positions as a normal occurrence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right! Diversity is key to a great business. It is time people are pulled out of the dark ages and gender is truly no longer a factor in employment. It is great to see women at high positions, in fact it is inspiring but it is not beneficial to anyone if a person is hired because of gender rather than experience or qualifications

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all I have to say: GO WOMEN! now with that out of the way I agree with you totally Brittney! with more women in the working industry it causes great empowerment for women, but at the same time all I'd like to say is that equality is important !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with all of you. Diversity is a key factor in every business and needs to be embraced. Like Brianna said, nobody should get a job just for the fact of diversity and no other reason (race, gender, etc.). If you earned to be there, then you should be no matter who you are. It's great hearing about this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say that I really am enjoying this thread folks! Keep up the great work! GREAT ARTICLE BRITT :)

    ReplyDelete